Innocent people who enter family courts for the first time are often shocked when they hear an opposing lawyer lie and get away with it. Not so innocent people are pleased their money can buy lawyers willing to lie, for money , when they end up in a family court that tolerates this conduct from family lawyers.
Our series focuses on Brad Baugh, the most nefarious divorce lawyer in Silicon Valley who has imposed decades of pain on parents and children embroiled in divorces. And who has earned millions through sanctions and other awards doled out by crooked Judges like Mary Ann Grilli and James Towery.
Baugh's network of corruption is so thick, it is impenetrable by an outsider, a pro per or a younger lawyer. Baugh's "in" with a core group of long time family law judges completes his corruption circle and assures his profits.
Since the 1990s parents and children have been frustrated by Baugh but unable to explain it. Yelp reviews such as this ( click link) have been in vain, but do alert opposing parties an lawyers as to what they are up against.
In 1997 one mother was so desperate she broke into a custody expert's office and stole documents that proved Baugh's fraud and uncomfortably close relationship with Judge Stewart. As lawyers rallied around Baugh and Stewart , the presiding judge of the county, Judge Komar, called for an investigation and Judge Stewart slipped off into the night of retirement , with his handsome pension courtesy of the very tax payers he had been cheating from the bench for decades. .
So how does Baugh get away with fraud?
Baugh knows the boundaries of argument and perjury when he is on a family case. Perjury is very difficult to prove and rarely prosecuted, Baugh knows the numbers. Baugh also knows the State Bar Rules , and how unlikely an investigation into his conduct actually is.
One of the documents stolen back in 1997 reveals that Baugh comfortably works with experts, where he drafts an order, or pleading, exactly as he wants it, and the expert then adds their name and files it with the court.
Back in 1997 Baugh was teaching his corrupt network how to scrub documents, See link by clicking here.
Today not much is different, only parents are smarter, social media is available and young lawyers, court reporters and partners Baugh burned in the past are mad and have had enough. Information Baugh likely thought to be safely protected on his computer or in the depths of his corruption network are not as safe as Baugh would hope.
Dirty lawyers are hard to catch, They are well protected and they know what they are doing, and could care less if it is illegal. So here is what to do to catch a dirty lawyer engaging in conduct like Baugh :
1. Post on Yelp and all web review sties possible
2. Find other victims from other cases
3. Never agree to a joint expert and dismiss the importance of disclosures and conflicts of interest.
4. Look for patterns in cases, with similar experts, referees , CPA's custody evaluators , etc and don't let that network into your case.
5. Look for lawyers to make mistakes.
6. Be willing to cross the lines to get what you need, and feed it to the media as an anonymous source, you are protected by Shield Laws that prevent media folks from revealing their source.
7. Get loud . Once you stand up against corruption in family court, you can never sit back down
8. Look for allies. Dirty lawyers make enemies along the way. Find them and keep them safe and secret, they will give you tons of information.
9. Expose , expose , expose. When you find out personal or professional conduct that is unethical , expose it to anyone and everyone you can. Dirty lawyers won't clean themselves